Some people prefer running at night because of the numerous benefits of it. Whether you are someone who’s just too busy to run in the morning or you’re one who couldn’t sleep at night, you will surely benefit from running at night (Source). But some people think that running at night is risky, especially that there might be some dangers lurking around. But with the right running headlamp (source), you will surely be able to stay safe.
Some people think that headlamps are used during home repair and renovations, and as well as for construction workers. But the truth is, headlamps are also ideal for camping, hiking, and hunting. Headlamps will help you see through the woods, especially at night. You can also use it when cooking or doing activities outdoors during the night.
When buying headlamps, you need to make sure that you’re not only checking their prices but their qualities as well. You surely don’t want to go on a camp, hike, or hunting, and notice that the headlamp that you have purchased is not working the way it should be.
Brightest Headlamps for Camping, Hiking, And Hunting: A Big Help When Things Go Wrong
Going on a camp, hike, or hunt can be fun, but having the brightest headlamps today will surely be a big help. It will be all fun until you need some light to illuminate what you are cooking or the object that you are targeting. I’ve rounded up the top 5 best brightest headlamps on the market to help you with your outdoor activities.
1. Cobiz Brightest Headlamp High 6000 Lumen LED Work headlight, 18650 USB Rechargeable Waterproof Flashlight
Cobiz brightest headlamp high 6000 is one of the most reliable headlamps on the market today. You can use it hands-free, and it will help brighten your surroundings. This will let you explore, read, or work on your tasks anytime you, please.
One of the best things about Cobiz brightest headlamp high 6000 is that it includes four modes. It has bright emergency strobe lights, high modes, medium modes, and focused lighting. This headlamp is movable, which means that it can be adjusted in a different range or wherever you need the light to be on.
Another good thing about Cobiz brightest headlamp high 6000 is that it can be used outdoors because it is waterproof. This makes the headlamp durable and reliable. Its head can be swiveled for up to 90 degrees and can be rotated in any direction that you please.
2. DanForce LED Headlamp Rechargeable 2019 Version, Cree 1080 Lumens Brightest Zoomable Headlamp Flashlight
DanForce LED headlamp rechargeable 2019 is packed with 1080 lumens, which will surely never leave you in the dark ever again. It features three different Cree LED bulbs, which will help your light shine longer, brighter, and stronger for as long as possible.
One of the best things about DanForce LED headlamp rechargeable 2019 is that it has the ability to withstand all kind of work and as well as weather conditions. It can withstand bone-chilling temperature to extreme heat. The reason behind this is because there is an air-tight rubber seal that protects the headlamp LED rechargeable battery from water, ice, and dust.
DanForce LED headlamp rechargeable 2019 comes with two rechargeable batteries, user guide, USB cable, and built-in red LED.
3. Outdoor Pro Gear Super bright LED Headlamp – Brightest Broadbeam Spotlight Headlight
Outdoor Pro Gear super bright LED headlamp is also considered as considered as a magnifying lens. In fact, this headlamp can help see even the darkest surroundings. You can zoom in and out this headlamp, where the lens is innovative enough to help you see even from afar.
One of the best things about Outdoor Pro Gear super bright LED headlamp is that it is made out of ABS and aero aluminum. This makes the headlamp very durable and rugged. The headlamp uses three regular double A batteries. You can also use rechargeable batteries if you want to.
Outdoor Pro Gear super bright LED headlamp is water resistant, which makes it perfect for the outdoors. Some people use this headlamp for camping, fishing, hunting, hiking, and as well as running.
4. GRDE Zoomable 3 Modes Super Bright LED Headlamp With Rechargeable Batteries
GRDE zoomable LED headlamp includes a user book, USB cable, car charger, wall charger, and two rechargeable batteries. This headlamp has a lifespan of up to a maximum of 100,000. Its brightness can reach up to 1800 lumens.
One of the best things about GRDE zoomable LED headlamp is that it has a multi-function capability. The reason behind this is because it can use as a desk lamp, waist lamp, and of course, as a headlamp. This LED headlamp is also durable, hands-free, adjustable, and zoomable. It includes three modes, which are the strobe, mid, and low.
5. MsForce Rechargeable Headlamp Flashlight, 12000 Lumen Ultra Bright LED Work Head Lamp
MsForce rechargeable headlamp flashlight will give you both effectiveness and comfort. That is why this headlamp is created with HL-400 with a user-friendly interface. This headlamp will provide you with both efficiency and comfort. It is made out of high-quality materials, which means that it will surely last for a long period of time.
One of the best things about MsForce rechargeable headlamp flashlight is that it has a long lasting illumination which you can depend on. There are also four lighting modes, from high, medium, low, and strobe.
Another good thing about MsForce rechargeable headlamp flashlight is that it has a heat resistance aluminum reflector, which means that you can use the headlamp for hours. With its shockproof glass, it will surely last for a long period of time.
Brightest Headlamps For Running
Running is one of the most common fitness activities of people who have no time to hit the gym. The reason behind this is because it’s easy to do, and it can be done around your neighborhood. Also, you can jog anytime you please, be it during the morning or evening. But for night joggers, having a reliable headlamp is necessary.
But with the many headlamps for running today, it can be challenging to choose one that will help you see clearly during the night. You need something that will help you see what’s ahead of you to avoid accidents and such. So I’ve rounded up to the top 5 brightest headlamps for running that will surely help you jog no matter what time it is.
1. Black Diamond Storm Headlamp
Black Diamond Storm Headlamp bis consist of a single quad power and a double power while LED, which both emit a total of 350 lumens. For night vision purposes, this headlamp has blue, green, and red power LEDs. This will help dim the lights or let you use the strobe mode.
One of the best things about Black Diamond Storm Headlamp is that it as a power tap technology. This will let you transition instantly from dimmed light to full one. The settings of this headlamp include a lock mode, blue night vision, green, red, strobe, dimming, distance modes, and full proximity. It is also waterproof, which means that you can run at night even if it’s raining.
Another good thing about Black Diamond Storm Headlamp is that it is robust, which makes it perfect for outdoor activities. This also makes it good for great adventures, no matter how bad the weather can be. With its simplified operation, you will surely be able to use this Black Diamond Storm Headlamp with ease.
2. Shining Buddy LED Headlamp Flashlight – Great For Camping, Hiking, Dog Walking, Kids, Batteries Included
Shining Buddy LED headlamp flashlight is packed with a total of 160 lumens and 5 different modes. This includes red flashing, red beam, white strobe, low beam, and high beam. The headlamp is powered by three triple A batteries and is all included in the package.
One of the best things about Shining Buddy LED headlamp flashlight is that it’s very lightweight. This means that whatever you’re doing, you will surely be comfortable because it’s lightweight. It las has a total of 160 lumens, and its bulb can last for a maximum of 100,000 hours.
Another good thing about Shining Buddy LED headlamp flashlight is that it is shock and weather resistant. In fact, it has an IPX rating of 5 and an adjustable non-slip strap.
3. Foxelli USB Rechargeable Headlamp Flashlight – 160 Lumen – Easy To Use, Headlight For Camping & Running
Foxelli USB rechargeable headlamp flashlight can be charged via its USB port for four hours. The battery can last for a maximum of 30 hours, depending on how you’re using the headlamp. It has a total of 160 lumens LED, and a 200 feet beam. There are two separate buttons, where you can choose from red or white light.
One of the best things about Foxelli USB rechargeable headlamp flashlight is that it has different types of light modes. Its body can be tilt for up to 60 degrees. This makes this headlamp one of the most versatile in the market today. It is also lightweight, wherein it only weighs 2.4 ounces, which makes it comfortable enough. With its ergonomic design, you will surely feel comfortable using this headlamp.
Another good thing about Foxelli USB rechargeable headlamp flashlight is that it is durable and waterproof. This means that it can withstand heat, cold, heavy rain, and even dropping. The reason behind this is because it has a rating of IPX5. This means that it will stay protected from spraying water and splashing.
4. Princeton Tec Remix LED Headlamp
Princeton Tec Remix LED headlamp is one of the best on the market, wherein it is perfectly built to work in all kinds of environment. It has a single Maxbright LED and as well as three ultra bright LEDs. With its 300 lumens power, you will surely be able to see in the dark while on the run.
One of the best things about Princeton Tec Remix LED headlamp is that it has a maximum burn time of 150 hours. This means that you don’t have to replace its batteries too often. The LED headlamp uses three triple-A alkaline batteries.
Another good thing about Princeton Tec Remix LED headlamp is that it has an accessible and easy to open the battery door. With its asymmetrical arm bracket, you will surely be able to use this while running at night.
5. Vont LED Headlamp, Super Bright LEDs, Compact Build – Use Headlamp for Running, Camping, Hiking
Vont LED headlamp is a long-lasting and ultra-bright headlamp, which can lighten up a tent, road, room easily. The reason behind this is because the CREE LEDs that this headlamp is equipped. It is powered by three triple A batteries and are included upon purchase.
One of the best things about Vont LED headlamp is that it is known as indestructible and waterproof. It is made out of materials that are almost similar to ones used in aircraft. This simply means that it can handle a beating and a maximum of 10 feet drop.
Another good thing about Vont LED headlamp is that it is lightweight, which makes it comfortable for the users. Due to its weight, you won’t feel like you’re using a headlamp while running at night. You can also bring this headlamp with you during camping or tuck it in your bag or pocket.
What To Look For In A Good Headlamp
When you’re choosing a headlamp, you need to make sure that you know what you’re looking for. There are a lot of headlamps on the market today, but this doesn’t mean that you can just choose anything on the shelves. You need to consider a lot of things before grabbing that headlamp that you are eyeing.
So here are some of the things that you need to consider when choosing a good headlamp for your running activities.
What Will You Use It For
One of the things that you need to consider when choosing a good headlamp is to know where you will be using it. Headlamps can be used for different purposes, including running, hiking, camping, and even while working on your home improvement. So always choose a headlamp that is perfect for you.
For instance, if you are going to run, make sure to choose a lightweight and something that will provide you with enough illumination. You want something that will light up the path that you’re running into. This will keep you safe and lets you see what’s ahead of you.
Weight Of The Headlamp
Headlamps with batteries will weigh more or less seven ounces. Typically, it will be hard to gauge the weight of the headlamp not unless you have weighed other headlamps. There are other headlamps that don’t have any batteries yet. So attaching its external battery can add weight and bulk. That is why, before purchasing a headlamp, ensure the weight and choose something that you’re comfortable with.
Remember that a headlamp’s purpose is to provide light at your target area. All of the headlamps are tested so the manufacturers know as to how many meters the beam can reach. This will help you know how useable the headlamp is. So better make sure to choose a beam distance that can illuminate a long distance.
There are different types of beams that you should be aware of. In this way, you know the type you want for your headlamp. Here are the beam types and their respective descriptions.
- Flood – This is where you can adjust your headlamp and is the most versatile type.
- Spot – This is known as a light beam, which will let you view from a long distance. The spot beam is perfect when walking through a trail during the night.
- Wide – This beam type if perfect for repairing something up-close or for camping tasks. You can also use this for reading at night if you don’t sleep alone.
Lumens Of The Headlamp
A lumen is a unit that measures that overall quantity of the emitted light in just one direction of the headlamp. If you are going to choose a headlamp with high lumens, you should know that it will consume more energy at a much higher rate. So a headlamp with lower lumens will surely consume lower energy.
Some people think that a headlamp with a high lumen is great, but this will depend. If the headlamp with low lumens works well in illuminating a certain area, then it will be useful.
Brightness Of The Headlamp
Majority of the headlamps today have different brightness levels. There are some that offer three modes, while there are some that offer five different modes. Get yourself familiar with the available brightness levels below:
- Low – This is the most standard brightness level and is used for walking, camping, and even running.
- Medium – This is the second brightness level, which will provide you with just enough illumination.
- High – Also known as the maximum brightness level, is perfect if you need more illumination.
- Strobe – Also known as flash is a level which can be used as your emergency blinker. There are some headlamps that will let you choose between a slow and a fast blinker.
- Boost – Also known as zoom is only available in a few headlamps today. One of the best things about Boost is that it will provide you with an extra intense light for a short period of time. Usually, the light will last around 20 seconds. This is perfect if you need to check something for just a short period of time.
Features Of A Good Headlamp
On And Off Switches: A good headlamp should have a reliable on and off switch. You will also know how the headlamp can cycle all throughout the available modes that it has. There also some switches that can be locked as this will help prevent your headlamp from being switched while inside your pocket or your bag accidentally.
- Tilt: A good headlamp can be adjusted up and down, or it can also be adjusted up to 360 degrees. This means that you can position the headlamp wherever you want it to be positioned. If you are going to use this headlamp for reading, then something that can tilt would be best.
- Water Resistance: There are headlamps that can withstand a certain level of snow and rain exposure. There are some that can also handle jolts and modest drops as well. Some headlamps can also deal with immersion for a short period of time.
- Red Light Mode: The red light mode in a headlamp is perfect for night time use. This means that if your purpose is to use the headlamp for running at night. The reason behind this is because using red light at not will not let your pupils shrink, just like with using white light.
- External Batteries: There are headlamps that use four battery positions, which is on the rear end of the headlamp. It can help lighten the weight on your forehead, though it might feel clunky. There are also headlamps that have top straps, which is removable. This is more ideal since it helps offer stability to your headlamp.
- Battery Run Time Are Misleading: It can be confusing when it comes to batteries because there are some that will say that it will last for a long period of time. But in reality, it will only last for a few hours, before you need to replace it or charge it.
Based on my observation, if you want to use a headlamp with a rechargeable battery, you can opt for nickel metal hydride. This is also perfect during cold conditions. But you should know that it can lose power, especially when it’s just sitting idle. As a backup, you can opt to use alkaline battery as it is good at holding a charge.
Types Of Headlamps
- Floodlight – Headlamp floodlights are considered as environmentally friendly, which can help provide an artistic like light effects. The reason why this is environmentally friendly is that it produces low heat. It doesn’t contain any harmful elements, like lead or mercury. Another good thing about floodlights is that it has a long life span. This simply means that you no longer have to replace it often. Another good thing about floodlights is that it has the power to generate bright white light during daylight. This kind of headlamp will surely provide you with enough illumination in darker environments.
- Spotlight – Headlamp spotlights have a low voltage and have the ability to control the spectral composition of the light. It has the ability to emit a very strong point, wherein you will be assured that it will light the area that you want to be illuminated. One of the best things about spotlights is that it has a very quick response, wherein it can be activated in just microseconds. Another good thing about headlamp spotlight is that it will help save more power. In fact, it can last between 50,000 to a maximum of 100,000 hours. It is also environmentally friendly because it has no mercury in it or any harmful elements.
- Red Light Mode – Red light mode is usually very useful in a darker environment. It helps you to see more clearly at night, without compromising your eyesight. The reason behind this is because the red light will help your eyes adjust to the dark easily. Plus, it won’t also be disturbing anyone around you. Another good thing about the red light mode is that it will help you with your peripheral vision. Once your eyes adjust, you can use this mode to illuminate the road or the trail that you are planning to go.
Rechargeable VS. Single Use Battery
Rechargeable batteries are now everywhere, from vehicles, LED headlamps, smartphones, and laptops. All you have to do is plug in its charger, and your battery will start to recharge. On the other hand, single-use batteries are still available and are initially more affordable, but your expenses with it can accumulate in the long run.
When it comes to the cost, rechargeable batteries are expensive. But you can reuse it for as many times as possible, with the use of a charger. But with a single-use battery, this can only be used until it runs out of power. Once it does runs out of power, you will have to purchase again. This can become expensive especially if you keep you repurchasing single-use batteries over and over again.
Now, if we are going to compare single-use batteries to rechargeable ones when it comes to reliability, I would choose the latter. The reason behind this is because it has a memory effect, which means that it can remember the light mode that you last used with your headlamp. With the single-use battery, there is no such thing as a memory effect. It may have a long storage life, but once you run out of it, you won’t be able just to recharge it.
Water Resistance: IPX
Majority of the headlamps today are water resistance, and it will depend on the IPX rating that they have. To help you understand your headlamp and its IPX rating more, I’m giving you a summary of what the IPX rating in your headlamp means below.
- IPX 8 Rating – An IPX 8 rating headlamp means that your headlamp can last under 3 feet of water.
- IPX 7 Rating – An IPX 7 rating headlamp can withstand a splashdown. It can also withstand 1 meter or 3 feet of water, and it will still work after that.
- IPX 6 Rating – An IPX 6 rating can help protect your headlamp from any powerful water jets. This means that your headlamp will still be safe if it accidentally gets soaked there.
- IPX 5 Rating – An IPX 5 rating will protect your headlamp from water jets in all sorts of direction.
- IPX 4 Rating – An IPX 4 rating will protect your headlamp from getting a splash in all direction. If you drop cubes of ice on it, you don’t have to worry because it will still work properly.
- IPX 3 Rating – An IPX 3 rating will protect your headlamp if it gets sprayed with liquid.
- IPX 2 Rating – An IPX 2 rating will protect your headlamp from some water drops if the headlamp is tilted up to a maximum of 15 degrees.
- IPX 1 Rating – An IPX 1 will protect your headlamp vertically from water drops.
- IPX 0 Rating – An IPX 0 is a headlamp that it none resistant to water, so it would be best to avoid your headlamp from getting wet.
Brightest Headlamp: Why Is It A Scam
A lot of manufacturers are claiming that their headlamps are the brightest on the market. But what people don’t know is that it’s actually a scam or fake information about the headlamp itself. Whether you’re planning to buy a headlamp or you already have one, then you should be aware of the information below on why claiming the brightest headlamp is a complete scam.
Yes, it can be fun to use a bright headlamp, but if you are going to use it for more than a couple of hours, your head and eyes will start to hurt. A person’s eyes can start to feel uncomfortable around 4,000 lumens of light. So it is always best to choose a headlamp with a lumen that’s lower than the brightest that you have in mind. Always remember that just enough light is always better than more. This will not only protect your head but as well as your eyes.
Always remember that a headlamp with 1,000 lumens is always better than the 4,000-lumen headlamp that you are eyeing. If you think that a headlamp lumen has no limit, you’re right, but not with your eyes. If you go hunting at night, you can still spot a deer as far as 400 meters even when you’re just using a 1,000-lumen headlamp. Higher lumens may help you spot a deer from far away, but your eyes won’t be able to see anything at a distance.
Cheap Companies Choose Fake Numbers
The problem with cheap headlamp companies today is that they tend just to use fake numbers on their lumens. You will notice this with other brands, wherein they tend to have high lumens that are known brands today. Yes, even if their headlamp has 2,420 lumens only, they will claim that it has 3,000. They will even claim that their headlamps are one of the brightest in the market today.
Some cheap companies may even attach all sorts of parts in their headlamps just to make it brighter. The problem with this is that it can cause the bulb to be destroyed or burn. So do yourself a favor and avoid purchasing these kinds of the headlamp if you notice a headlamp being sold lower than 200 USD and claims that it is the brightest, that they are bluffing. No headlamp with a bright lumen can last for a long period of time with that money.
Color Of The Light
Put in mind that the light beam’s temperature can entirely affect the experience of the user dramatically. There are 1,000 lumens with white daylight light, while there are also 1,000 lumens that are yellowish are known as too warm light. For instance, a yellow beam that has 2,000 may not be as helpful as it may seem compared to a 1,000 lumens white light.
When choosing a beam, it is always best to choose CREE bulbs. The reason behind this is because it has the power to provide the brightest white light in most headlamps. There are a lot of brands with CREE bulbs, and they come from reliable brands.
Headlamp’s Spread Out Beam
A spread out beam with a total of 1,000 lumens will not let you see as clearly as you should in a dark field. Spreading an entire 1,000 lumens in a wide area will not help you illuminate the other areas in the field. In short, your headlamp will become useless. Also, if you start focusing the light in just one spot, it will be too bright that you won’t be able to see any details. This can definitely be frustrating, especially when you’re running at night.
So if you choose to purchase the brightest headlamp advertised on the market, it will become useless. This means that it is always better to choose something in between. Choose a headlamp that has a spread out beam that is wide enough to cover a big area. This will help you to see everything that you need to see while you are running. It would be best to use a spread out beam vertically which is perfect while you are running.
In conclusion, all the information above gave you options to choose from on the brightest headlamp for camping and running. All you have to do is choose one that suits your needs. Whether you are running or on a camp with yourself or with your family and friends, having a headlamp will surely help.
With the details above on what to look for in a good headlamp, following them will surely help you. Just make sure to keep in might the details about the lumens. Remember, you don’t need a higher lumen rating for you to be able to run at night. You need something that will help you illuminate the path ahead of you.
Table of Contents
- Brightest Headlamps for Camping, Hiking, And Hunting: A Big Help When Things Go Wrong
- 1. Cobiz Brightest Headlamp High 6000 Lumen LED Work headlight, 18650 USB Rechargeable Waterproof Flashlight
- 2. DanForce LED Headlamp Rechargeable 2019 Version, Cree 1080 Lumens Brightest Zoomable Headlamp Flashlight
- 3. Outdoor Pro Gear Super bright LED Headlamp – Brightest Broadbeam Spotlight Headlight
- 4. GRDE Zoomable 3 Modes Super Bright LED Headlamp With Rechargeable Batteries
- 5. MsForce Rechargeable Headlamp Flashlight, 12000 Lumen Ultra Bright LED Work Head Lamp
- Brightest Headlamps For Running
- 1. Black Diamond Storm Headlamp
- 2. Shining Buddy LED Headlamp Flashlight – Great For Camping, Hiking, Dog Walking, Kids, Batteries Included
- 3. Foxelli USB Rechargeable Headlamp Flashlight – 160 Lumen – Easy To Use, Headlight For Camping & Running
- 4. Princeton Tec Remix LED Headlamp
- 5. Vont LED Headlamp, Super Bright LEDs, Compact Build – Use Headlamp for Running, Camping, Hiking
- What To Look For In A Good Headlamp
- Brightest Headlamp: Why Is It A Scam