Why do we exist? What is our life’s purpose? What can we do to become better versions of ourselves and be better for the world? These are some questions that we all ask ourselves at least once.
For some people, those are very hard to answer. But don’t be burdened by those and let these inspiring quotes from a great man guide you.
Over 100 of Mahatma Gandhi’s Best Quotes
1. Be the change that you want to see in the world.
2. Our greatest ability as humans is not to change the world; but to change ourselves.
3. Speak only if it improves upon the silence.
4. Look at the sparrows; they do not know what they will do in the next moment. Let us literally live from moment to moment.
5. Carefully watch your thoughts, for they become your words. Manage and watch your words, for they will become your actions. Consider and judge your actions, for they have become your habits. Acknowledge and watch your habits, for they shall become your values. Understand and embrace your values, for they become your destiny.
6. The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
7. You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.
8. There are two days in the year that we cannot do anything, yesterday and tomorrow.
9. The future depends on what you do today.
10. If we want to reach real peace in this world, we should start educating children.
11. Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.
12. Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
13. Service which is rendered without joy helps neither the servant nor the served.
14. Nobody can hurt me without my permission.
15. Strength does not come from winning. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.
16. The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.
17. Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.
18. It’s easy to stand with the crowd. It takes courage to stand alone.
19. A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave.
20. In a gentle way, you can shake the world.
21. An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.
22. You may never know what results come of your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results.
23. Whatever you do will be insignificant. But it is very important that you do it.
24. The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problem.
25. The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
26. It’s my conviction that nothing enduring can be built on violence.
27. Without action, you aren’t going anywhere.
28. Earth provides enough to satisfy every man’s needs, but not every man’s greed.
29. Whenever you are confronted with an opponent. Conquer him with love.
30. It’s not too late at all. You just don’t yet know what you are capable of.
31. I cannot conceive of a greater loss than the loss of one’s self-respect.
32. I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent.
33 .We will become who we are meant to become.
34. First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
35. You don’t know who is important to you until you actually lose them.
36. A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks he becomes.
37. As human begins, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world- that is the myth of the atomic age- as in being able to remake ourselves.
38. Change yourself – you are in control.
39. I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
40. It does not require money, to live neat, clean and dignified.
41. Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
42. The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problem.
43. Relationships are based on four principles: respect, understanding, acceptance, and appreciation.
44. It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver.
45. Those who know how to think need no teachers.
46. They cannot take away our self-respect if we do not give it to them.
47. Be truthful, gentle and fearless.
48. Hate the sin, love the sinner.
49. Full effort is full victory.
50. I offer you peace. I offer you love. I offer you friendship. I see your beauty. I hear your need. I feel your feelings. My wisdom flows from the Highest Source. I salute that Source in you. Let us work together for unity and love.
51. There is more to life than simply increasing its speed.
52. Glory lies in the attempt to reach one’s goal and not in reaching it.
53. Each night, when I go to sleep, I die. And the next morning, when I wake up, I am reborn.
54. Action is no less necessary than thought to the instinctive tendencies of the human frame.
55. To believe in something, and not live it, is dishonest.
56. Whenever you are confronted with an opponent, conquer him with love.
57. Do not judge others. Be your own judge and you will be truly happy. If you will try to judge others, you are likely to burn your fingers.
58. Men often become what they believe themselves to be. If I believe I cannot do something, it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe I can, then I acquire the ability to do it even if I didn’t have it in the beginning.
59. Our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world but being able to remake ourselves.
60. To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer.
61. To lose patience is to lose the battle.
62. One needs to be slow to form convictions, but once formed they must be defended against the heaviest odds.
63. What we are doing to the forests of the world is but a mirror reflection of what we are doing to ourselves and to one another.
64. The day the power of love overrules the love of power, the world will know peace.
65. Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth, for being correct, for being you. Never apologize for being correct, or for being years ahead of your time. If you’re right and you know it, speak your mind. Speak your mind. Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is still the truth.
66. I cannot teach you violence, as I do not myself believe in it. I can only teach you not to bow your heads before anyone even at the cost of your life.
67. Whatever you believe about yourself on the inside is what you will manifest on the outside.
68. Knowledge gained through experience is far superior and many times more useful than bookish knowledge.
69. Whether humanity will consciously follow the law of love, I do not know. But that need not disturb me. The law will work just as the law of gravitation works, whether we accept it or not. The person who discovered the law of love was a far greater scientist than any of our modern scientists. Only our explorations have not gone far enough and so it is not possible for everyone to see all its workings.
70. The ones who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones that do.
71. The enemy is fear. We think it is hate but it is fear.
72. Consciously or unconsciously, every one of us does render some service or other. If we cultivate the habit of doing this service deliberately, our desire for service will steadily grow stronger, and will make, not only our own happiness but that of the world at large.
73. It is unwise to be too sure of one’s wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and wisest might err.
74. No man loses his freedom except through his own weakness.
75. Remember that there is always a limit to self-indulgence, but none to self-restraint.
76. An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching.
77. Find purpose. The means will follow.
78. The mice which helplessly find themselves between the cat’s teeth acquire no merit from their enforced sacrifice.
79. You can chain me, you can torture me, you can even destroy this body, but you will never imprison my mind.
80. The law of love could be best understood and learned through little children.
81. All business depends upon men fulfilling their responsibilities.
82. My imperfections and failures are much a blessing from God as my successes and my talents and I lay them both at his feet.
83. Your action expresses your priorities.
84. In the attitude of silence, the soul finds the path in a clearer light, and what is elusive and deceptive resolves itself into crystal clearness. Our life is a long and arduous quest after truth.
85. Honest disagreement is often a good sign of progress.
86. For me, the different religions are beautiful flowers from the same garden, or they are branches of the same majestic tree. Therefore, they are equally true, though being received and interpreted through human instruments equally imperfect.
87. My greatest weapon is mute prayer.
88. Peace is its own reward.
89. Where there is love there is life.
90. There is no road towards peace; peace is the road
91. When there is war, the poet lays down the lyre, the lawyer his law reports, the schoolboy his books.
92. Patience means self-suffering.
93. The real love is to love them that hate you, to love your neighbour even though you distrust him.
94. Mental violence has no potency and injures only the person whose thoughts are violent. It is otherwise with mental non-violence. It has potency which the world does not yet know.
95. Truth is by nature self-evident. As soon as you remove the cobwebs of ignorance that surround it, it shines clear.
96. A small group of determined and like-minded people can change the course of history.
97. Nonviolence is the first article of my faith. It is also the last article of my creed.
98. When you are right, you have no need to be angry. When you are wrong, you have no right to be angry.
99. No culture can live if it attempts to be exclusive.
100. Nothing has saddened me so much in life as the hardness of heart of educated people.
101. I suppose leadership at one time meant muscles, but today it means getting along with people.
102. Live simply so that others may simply live.
103. A weak man is just by accident. A strong but non-violent man is unjust by accident.
104. Our ability to reach unity in diversity will be the beauty and the test of our civilization.
105. There is nothing that wastes the body like worry, and one who has any faith in God should be ashamed to worry about anything whatsoever.
106. A person who is worried about the outcome of his work does not see his goal; he sees only his opposition and the obstacles before him.
107. Common sense is the realised sense of proportion.
108. Life is but an endless series of experiments.
109. To deprive a man of his natural liberty and to deny to him the ordinary amenities of life is worse than starving the body; it is starvation of the soul, the dweller in the body.
110. Man should forget his anger before he lies down to sleep.
111. An unjust law is itself a species of violence. Arrest for its breach is more so.
112. Silence becomes cowardice when occasion demands speaking out the whole truth and acting accordingly.
113. Fear has its use but cowardice has none.
114. Compassion is a muscle that gets stronger with use.
115. I believe that a man is the strongest soldier for daring to die unarmed.
116. You yourself as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection.
117. Prayer is the key of the morning and the bolt of the evening.
118. Whenever you have truth it must be given with love, or the message and the messenger will be rejected.
Knowing where you are headed and which way to go can be a little difficult sometimes. There will be moments where you will lose yourself. But when you find yourself again, it will be so rewarding.
Life doesn’t have to be difficult. The choices you make should be between whether you want to or not. In the end, it’s your own choices that will make you or break you.