If you’re dealing with an oily face and want to control the excess oil, then using a primer will get the job done. Primers are specifically made to help you achieve an oil-free face and allows you to prepare your face for makeup application. And believe it or not, a good primer for oily skin can make a huge difference to the longevity and look of your makeup.
In this topic, we give you the best primer for oily skin reviews to help you find the best primer. But since there are countless primers to choose from, how do you know which one would suit all your needs?
Things to Consider when Buying a Primer for Oily Skin
When it comes to attaining a gorgeous, long-lasting makeup look, it’s very important to use the right primer. There are several things you should consider when looking for a primer. Below we have provided some points to keep in mind in order to make it easier for you to select which primer is for you. Let’s get into it below!
Your skin type can affect the appearance of your makeup and the longevity of your primer. For those with dry skin, the hydrating primer would fit them well. If your skin is dry, then consider getting a nourishing primer as they can help effectively hydrate your skin and prepare it for makeup application. You can easily spot a hydrating primer by simply searching for one with words such as “replenishing” or “soothing”.
For people with oily skin, a mattifying primer is the best choice. If you want to fight excess oil and want a smooth feel on your face, then don’t hesitate to get this type of primer as soon as possible. These primers help reduce and eliminate the oil on your face, allowing you to create a beautiful, long-lasting makeup appearance.
Furthermore, you want to go for a simple primer if your skin is sensitive. It’s a great idea to pick a product that contains a short list of ingredients, especially if you have a sensitive skin. Fortunately, most beauty supply stores have primers that are perfect for those with sensitive skin. Look for a product that contains no oil, fragrance, and other harsh ingredients that could irritate or damage your skin.
There are also primers for people with mature skin. You will experience blotchy skin and fine lines as you age. Fortunately, a hydrating primer with antioxidants will help moisturize your face while at the same time lock your makeup, giving you a fresher, younger look.
Top 10 Best Primer for Oily Skin Reviews
1. e.l.f. Mineral Infused Face Primer
Whether you have oily, flaky, or mature skin, the e.l.f Mineral Infused Face Primer allows you to have a smooth, fresh look. This product works well for all skin types, making it one of the best primers on the market today. It’s also easy to use and it is made with natural ingredients.
- Ideal for all skin types
- Blends quickly and smoothly
- Lasts all day and night
- Helps combat excess oil, fine lines, enlarged pores, and dryness
- It’s a bit liquidy but that’s just a minor issue
- The e.l.f isn’t the best mattifying primer but you can’t go wrong with its affordable price
2. BECCA – Ever Matte Poreless Priming Perfector
The BECCA is a silicone-free primer that helps reduce shine and reduce the excess oil on your face. It can help tighten your skin, enabling you to look younger and fresher. If you have large pores or you’re dealing with an oily skin, then don’t hesitate to get the BECCA immediately.
- Contains no fragrance, alcohol, and oil
- Easy and safe to use
- Works great in controlling excess oil
- Provides a smooth matte surface that locks your makeup
- These primers don’t last long but they are very good at mattifying your face
- It does not suit those with dry skin quite well but it’s best for people with oily skin
3. bareMinerals Original Prime Time Foundation Primer
This primer is effective in fighting flaky dryness, enlarged pores, excess oil, and fine lines. The bareMinerals Original Prime Time primer allows you to achieve a fresh look by extending the wear of your foundation. It contains natural ingredients, Vitamins E and C, and antioxidants that help nourish and soothe your skin.
- Light and safe for your skin
- Helps moisturize and keep your face oil-free
- No irritants and preservatives that could irritate your skin
- Easy to apply
- It may irritate you if you have acne prone skin but it does a really good job in preventing excess oils
- The consistency is a bit watery but that does not affect its performance
4. SMASHBOX Photo Finish Foundation Primer
The SMASHBOX Photo Finish primer contains natural ingredients that are safe for your skin. It’s also easy to apply. In addition, you can wear the SMASHBOX alone or under a makeup. You can also use it for makeup touch-ups.
- Promotes smooth and silky face
- Ideal for people with fine wrinkles
- Moisturizes and softens your skin
- Made with natural ingredients
- It’s quite expensive but it’s definitely worth the price
- These primers have liquid-like consistency so you might have a hard time applying it. But be patient – you’ll get used to it over time
5. bareMinerals Original Prime Time Foundation Primer .5 oz. 2 pack – Equals full size by Bare Escentuals
If you’re tired of your enlarged pores, rough patches, excess oils, or fine lines and you want to reduce or remove them for good, then better get the bareMinerals Original Prime Time Foundation Primer now. This primer can make you look fresh as it helps extend the wear of your foundation. Furthermore, it contains antioxidants and several vitamins that soothes and nourishes your skin.
- Ideal for oily skin
- Holds makeup very well
- Promotes smooth and fresh skin
- Keep your pores dirt-free
- It comes at a small size but you can always order a new one
- They can dry your face if you have a sensitive skin so better look for other products
These bareMinerals Prime Time Brightening Foundation Primers are great for those with oily face and enlarged pores. This primer also suits face with fine lines, rough patches, and flaky dryness. It does not only nourish your skin but brighten it as well, giving you a glowing, luminous look.
- Contains no irritants and preservatives
- With Vitamins E and C and antioxidants
- Perfect for all skin types
- Offers a healthy, glowing skin
- They are a bit more watery than other brands but they are still worth buying
- It’s a little heavy on the face but applying it evenly and lightly will solve the issue
7. Maybelline Face Studio Master Prime Primer
The Maybelline Face Studio primer allows you to hide skin imperfections and blurs fine lines with little to no effort. It’s weightless, making it comfortable to use. Moreover, you can wear it alone or under your makeup.
- Makes skin look flawless, fresh, and bright
- Does not clog pores
- Blurs or hide skin imperfections
- It may cause you to breakout if your skin is sensitive but it does a really good job in blurring uneven skin tones
- Some people find the scent unpleasant but you will get used to it after some time
If you have a sensitive skin, the SkinDinavia spray is for you. These primers are hypoallergenic so it won’t irritate or damage your face. It does not cause breakouts, which is no doubt good news for those suffering from acne.
- Proven to eliminate the need for blotting
- Great for sensitive skin
- Holds makeup all day
- These products are expensive but they’re definitely worth it
- The size is small but you can order many of them
9. Smashbox Smashbox Photo Finish Primer
The Smashbox Photo Finish Primer is good for people with dry skin. This product hydrates your skin and it works quite well will any skin tone, making it an ideal primer for everyone. It does not only hydrate your skin but prepare and refresh it as well.
- Refreshes and hydrates your skin
- Absorbs into skin instantly
- Restore moisture on your skin
- Excellent in any skin tone
- It has a strong scent but you will get used to it
- They come at a small size so make sure to order multiple of them
10. SACHA matte face primer
This SACHA matte face primer is ideal for oily skin. It allows you to reduce your excess oil and shine that lasts for up to 8 hours. You can wear the SACHA primer alone or under a makeup application. It applies smoothly so should not have a hard time using it.
- Controls shine and absorb excess oil
- Holds makeup well
- Good for all skin types
- Keeps your makeup fresh
- It’s not for those with extremely oily skin but it can effectively fight and control oil
- These primers are a little pricey but they are a good deal
Primers enable us to control excess oil and keep our face looking good all day. Feel free to consider the things above if you’re finding it quite difficult to pick the primer that fits you well.
Full Face Using Only E.L.F Makeup Tutorial | ELF Did That!
Table of Contents
- Things to Consider when Buying a Primer for Oily Skin
- Top 10 Best Primer for Oily Skin Reviews
- 1. e.l.f. Mineral Infused Face Primer
- 2. BECCA – Ever Matte Poreless Priming Perfector
- 3. bareMinerals Original Prime Time Foundation Primer
- 4. SMASHBOX Photo Finish Foundation Primer
- 5. bareMinerals Original Prime Time Foundation Primer .5 oz. 2 pack – Equals full size by Bare Escentuals
- 6. bareMinerals Prime Time Brightening Foundation Primer
- 7. Maybelline Face Studio Master Prime Primer
- 8. Skindinavia The Makeup Oil Control Finishing Spray
- 9. Smashbox Smashbox Photo Finish Primer
- 10. SACHA matte face primer