Military tactical combat boots are different than the traditional combat pairs. Tactical boots are thinner to allow easy wearing for daily use. It’s usually worn by officers and gunmen who are engaging in rough terrain missions. Since tactical boots are lighter, it’s also best for tactical training drills that involve a lot of movement.
When buying tactical combat boots, here are some of the important factors to keep in mind.
Things to Consider When Buying Military Tactical Combat Boots
Types of TAC boots
Tactical boots come in six common types: standard issue, jump, tanker, jungle, desert, and low temp boots. Each of these has different functions as the names suggest. Make sure that you pick one that suits the purpose.
Those in the military will be required to get tactical boots in accordance with uniform regulations.
Always look for a comfortable, cushioned sole. As tactical boots are laced up to the ankle, it should be comfortable to wear for long hours. Sole height shouldn’t exceed two inches from the bottom.
Tactical boots should be weatherproof during missions. Get one that has oil and water-resistant membranes. Cattle hide leather is the best material for this type of boots.
Tactical boots have to be lightweight to reduce possible foot fatigue. Light boots will allow military personnel to be agile and stealth during their missions.
Tactical boots should be durable enough to withstand rough environments and continuous use. And aside from being a tough pair, it should also be comfortable to the feet.
Look for a pair with reinforced soles that will keep its traction no matter how slippery the path is.
Laces and zippers
Zippered tactical boots are best for military people dashed during emergency missions. On the other hand, laced boots will be excellent in adjustments and tighter hold.
Top 10 Best Military Tactical Combat Boots Reviews
1. Under Armour Valsetz RTS Military and Tactical Boot
The Under Armor Valsetz Tactical Boots hug the feet like a second skin, thanks to the ClutchFit Technology. It has a 1.25” platform and the shaft extends to ankle-high. The Micro G foam insole cushions impact of landing and take-offs.
- Molded ortholite sock liner to support the feet’s structure
- Suitable for winter use, water-resistant
- True to size
- Lightweight and comfortable straight from the box
- Remains inspection ready even during daily use
- The tread isn’t very grippy and it doesn’t catch on things
- Not totally waterproof which isn’t a big issue for indoor officers
- Runs a bit narrow than other boots but it won’t be a problem for most users
2. Maelstrom Men’s TAC FORCE Military Tactical Work Boot
This combination of leather and nylon offers a moisture-wicking construction and comfort. When it comes to size, it’s advisable to get a half more than your usual fit. It’s a boot designed for on-the-go missions and daily wear. Be it for rough terrains or indoor work, this is a must-have pair.
- Lightweight shock-absorbing mid-sole that doesn’t wear easily
- Heavy duty YKK zipper for fast wearing and removing
- Can hold up very well on oil, water, spills, mud, rain, and even house fires
- Affordable price for high-quality boots
- To make it look professional for long, you have to maintain it daily which is easy to do
- There’s no tongue stabilizer but you can simply tie the laces up to the highest hole
3. 5.11 Tactical A.T.A.C. 8″ Storm Boot
These 5.11 Tactical Boots are made from 1,200D Cordura nylon side panels with leather construction. It has a hidden side pocket excellent for hiding small weapons during combat missions. Take note, though, that the “R” stated in the sizing is equivalent to “M”.
- Uses an anti-bacterial Drilex lining that prevents odor build up
- Waterproof as long as you tie the laces up tightly
- Best for rough use including firefighting and paramedic missions
- Long lasting tread for consistent traction
- A bit tight at first for those with wide feet but it will soon break in accordingly
- Squeaky on some types of flooring
4. Dr. Martens Women’s Pascal Leather Combat Boot
This pair of Dr. Martens combat boasts a full leather shaft with a 2-inch heel. It bears the iconic Dr. Martens look of having a lug sole plus a heel pull tab. Its air-cushioned sole makes it a best seller for those looking for more foot support.
- The leather is soft and pliable which protects the heel from intense rubbing
- The tip of the shoe is sturdy and perfect for protecting the toes
- Almost indestructible, it can last for 10 years before giving in
- Suitable for rough and laidback use
- It fits tightly at first but a regular pair of socks will ease the discomfort
5. 5.11 ATAC 8 Inches Men’s Boot
This leather and textile construction is luxurious on its 8-inch shaft. Aside from the sausage laces, it also has a side zip that makes it easier to put on and off. The synthetic sole also gives a tight grip on almost any surfaces and flooring material.
- Hidden tactical pocket for storing a boot knife
- It bears the exclusive 5.11 shock mitigation system for less feet fatigue
- The non-metallic shank allows better support and a more lightweight feel
- It can take the beating of the roughest and harshest work environment
- A bit snuggler than usual boots but it will loosen up after a few weeks
6. 5.11 Tactical A.T.A.C. 6″ Side Zip Boot
This 5.11 pair is a deviation from its usual high-shaft boots. It sports a shorter 6” shaft with a polished full-grain leather toe for a more professional look. The best part here is the quiet soles that also provide excellent traction to any surface.
- Shock mitigation system for less feet fatigue during missions
- Moisture-wicking and anti-bacterial lining to prevent bad odor
- True to size and very comfortable
- Zipped side for easy wearing for those with wide feet
- The soles don’t crack easily even for everyday use
- The interior part of the zipped area has no lining so wearing socks is imperative
7. Bates Men’s Ultra-Lites Tactical Sport Side-Zip Boot
This high-top shoe from Bates has a lace-up vamp to fit snugly. It also has a breathable lining and a removable cushion insert. Aside from that, it boasts anti-slip soles that will endure combat missions. This is the right mix of comfort and functionality.
- Made of 1680D ballistic nylon for intense durability
- Side zipper for faster wearing during emergency missions
- Extra lightweight despite its bigger build
- Makes the feet warm during winter, cool during summer
- A favorite among uniformed personnel
- Holds up well on rough environments, waterproof to some extent
- You have to wear a thicker sock to be perfectly comfortable with the boots
8. Bates Men’s GX-8 8 Inch Ultra-Lites GTX Waterproof Boot
For those looking for a waterproof and tougher Bates boot, this one is for the books. It has a slip-resistant sole, an EVA midsole, and waterproof nylon and leather shaft. Although it’s a tough and enduring boot, it’s lightweight and easy on the feet.
- Although waterproof, it breathes well both as a combat and duty boot
- The heel and toe are semi-rigid for added protection
- As comfortable as a snuggly hiking boot
- Holds up really well on daily use without wrinkling easily
- No zip sides for emergency wearing. Still, it’s necessary to attain the waterproof feature.
- A bit tight to take on and off but it will shape after a short break in
9. Under Armour Women’s Stellar Tac Military and Tactical Boot
This pair of boots from Under Armour has a leather and textile blend. Its ankle-high arch is excellent for office work and other casual purposes. The 900D nylon textile upper is durable enough for training drills and daily wear. It also has a reinforced TPU shank for utmost support.
- Has a quick-dry minimalist design for a low maintenance footwear
- Polishable toe for a professional look
- Has an ortholite sock liner as well as anti-odor technology
- Lightweight like a pair of sneakers
- More water-resistant than the Valsetz pair
- Affordable yet durable
- A bit hard to get on the first few wears
10. Reebok Work Duty Men’s Rapid Response Tactical Boot
These Reebok boots have a leather and textile construction attached to a 2-inch heel and a 1.25-inch platform. Its shaft is a bit on the shorter side measuring 6 inches from the arch. It also has a zipped side for easy wearing and stealth soles. It won’t squeak no matter how shiny the surfaces are.
- Wider safety toe cap
- Electrical hazard protection
- Airport friendly
- Made from cattle hide leather and ballistic nylon
- A little less waterproof which isn’t a deal breaker considering the protection level
- There’s a funny feeling at the heel but a pair of socks can easily fix it
Tactical boots are made to be tougher and enduring against various elements. But aside from being durable, these 10 combat boots reviewed here are made with comfort in mind. Still, each one has varying features that suit a variety of purposes.
American combat boots: Did you know?
Table of Contents
- Things to Consider When Buying Military Tactical Combat Boots
- Top 10 Best Military Tactical Combat Boots Reviews
- 1. Under Armour Valsetz RTS Military and Tactical Boot
- 2. Maelstrom Men’s TAC FORCE Military Tactical Work Boot
- 3. 5.11 Tactical A.T.A.C. 8″ Storm Boot
- 4. Dr. Martens Women’s Pascal Leather Combat Boot
- 5. 5.11 ATAC 8 Inches Men’s Boot
- 6. 5.11 Tactical A.T.A.C. 6″ Side Zip Boot
- 7. Bates Men’s Ultra-Lites Tactical Sport Side-Zip Boot
- 8. Bates Men’s GX-8 8 Inch Ultra-Lites GTX Waterproof Boot
- 9. Under Armour Women’s Stellar Tac Military and Tactical Boot
- 10. Reebok Work Duty Men’s Rapid Response Tactical Boot