When it comes to action cameras, GoPro is undeniably one of the most popular and trusted brands. It has built a reputation of manufacturing portable, sturdy, high-definition cameras that would let you preserve the memories of your adventures (Source).
But, do you know that you can actually use your GoPro in other ways aside extreme sports? If you’re surprised to read that, MakeUseOf.com listed six (6) other interesting ways to use your GoPro. Included in the list are using your GoPro as a dashcam in your car, for monitoring and understanding your pet, and shooting a short film. In addition to those, a GoPro would also be great for vlogging (Source)!
Excited to jump onto a new hobby of vlogging or filming? Don’t you go just yet!
If you want to explore on shooting videos, particularly vlogging or creating short films, then you would want to invest on a compatible external microphone to make your vlog or film a lot better.
A lavalier microphone (or lapel mic, collar mic, clip mic, personal mic) is a great choice to partner with your GoPro Hero. It’s a tiny mic that may be clipped onto your shirt, collar or tie so it won’t seem too distracting on your video. It also allows hands-free operation so you can move freely even while talking (Source).
In this post, we reviewed the five best microphones that are compatible with your GoPro Hero 7, 6, 5, 4, or 3.
First on the list is our top pick: the Movo GM100. It boasts of providing excellent audio quality for your interview, vlog, podcast, etc. It is compatible with various smartphones, laptops and other devices and may be used with your GoPro since it has already included the mini USB adapter.
Continue to read to know more about this lavalier microphone, as well as the remaining four on the list.
Top 5 Best Microphone for GoPro Hero 7 6 5 4 3 Reviews
1. Movo GM100 Lavalier Lapel Clip-on Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone for GoPro HERO3, HERO3+ and HERO4 Black, White and Silver Editions
The Movo GM100 is the cheapest lavalier lapel clip-on that you will find on this list. However, despite its very affordable price, it promises great features.
It is an omni-directional condenser microphone that will work excellently for your videos as it provides clear and accurate audio. It promises of delivering some of the clearest recorded sound you can find. It’s a great choice for your interviews, podcasts, dictation, and other similar applications. More so, it is extremely tiny and lightweight, designed for optimum portability and comfort.
Although it uses a 3.5mm headphone jack, you don’t have to worry about connecting it to your GoPro Hero since it already comes with a mini-USB adapter. Also included in the package are the windscreen and tie-clip.
To make things even better, it is also covered by the manufacturer’s warranty for one year.
Youtube Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSLupmBtNyM
- Provides great audio quality
- Already comes with a mini-USB adapter, windscreen and tie-clip
- Lightweight, extremely portable and comfortable to wear
- With one-year manufacturer warranty
- Very affordable
- Recorded audio may not sound as clear when the recording was done while in a moving vehicle, especially motorcycle
2. SOONSUN Skeleton Housing Protective Case with Quick Release Buckle + 6.5ft Lavalier Lapel Clip-on Microphone Mic for GoPro Hero4 Hero 4 3+ Hero3 Camera
This lavalier microphone from Soonsun comes with a skeleton housing should you need your mic attached to your GoPro Hero, and a 6.5ft cable should you want to record your audio even at a distance from your camera. These two additional accessories that come with the package sure justify the extra dollars you’d spend and would prove to be beneficial as you use your mic in different siturations.
The skeleton housing also has a reserved hole particularly intended for your GoPro’s internal microphone. Should you opt to use the built-in microphone of your action cam, such hole ensures that you would still get a pretty decent recording effect.
The mic cable also uses a mini-USB plug so you wouldn’t have to worry about needing an adapter. You can simply plug it into your GoPro Hero and it’s ready for recording. It also has a collar clip that allows you to attach the mic unto your collar for comfortable recording.
Youtube Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DmrRorLd9w
- Comes with a skeleton housing and 6.5ft long cable
- Doesn’t need mini-USB adapter
- Allows you to record using the external or the internal microphone
- External microphone works best for vlogging
- Quite pricey compared to others
3. Professional Grade Lavalier Lapel Microphone Omnidirectional Mic with Easy Clip On System Perfect for Recording Youtube / Interview / Video Conference / Podcast / Voice Dictation / iPhone/ASMR
This lavalier microphone from PowerDeWise is designed to be compatible with smartphones, iPads, tablets, and laptops. As such, it uses a 3.5mm jack. However, it can also work well with your GoPro Hero but you may have to purchase an adapter with mini-USB to plug it in.
It is also omni-directional so you don’t have to worry about the angle you clip it on. It’s also practically easy to use. For your GoPro Hero, you just need to attach the adapter to the 3.5mm jack by the end of the cable; plug the adapter unto your action camera and you can already start your audio or video recording.
This PowerDeWise microphone boasts of being able to get a clear sound, blocking all the background noises to emphasize your voice.
Also, it is compact, and extremely tiny. If you hide the cable from screen, the microphone is almost impossible to locate. It also comes with a rotating clip so you can easily attach it on your clothing, perfect for interviews of vlogging.
Other things included in the package are two (2) pieces of wind puff, an extra 79” cable, a 4 to 3Pin Adapter and a deluxe pouch where you can keep all the accessories and the microphone.
Youtube Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UjLZDWVwnE
- Tiny, compact and lightweight
- Comes with extra 79” cable
- Records speech clearly
- Can be used with other devices
- Needs a mini UBS adapter cable for GoPro Hero
- Priced higher than some brands
4. Lavalier Microphone, MAONO AU100 Hands Free Clip-on Lapel Mic with Omnidirectional Condenser for Podcast, Recording, DSLR,Camera, Smartphone, Sony,PC,Laptop (236 in)
The MAONO lavalier microphone is one of your affordable options. This omni-directional condenser mic allows you to record better quality sound for podcast, interviews, and the like.
MAONO AU-100 maybe small and simple but it is made from robust plastic material that makes the microphone durable yet pretty comfortable to wear and use. It comes with a thin wire and a on/off switch.
However, the switch does not particularly mean you can turn on/off your microphone. Rather, the “off” is for smartphone mode, and “on” for DSLR camera mode.
It is made particularly for smartphones, laptops and tablets, having a 3.5mm headphone jack. It may also be used for DSLR or other digital camera since the package also includes a 6.5mm jack. It failed to include however, a mini USB adapter for your GoPro Hero. Although once you purchased an adapter separately, you can already use this condenser microphone with your action camera.
The product package also includes two (2) button batteries, a metal clip, and a wind muff. Lastly, it is covered with 12-month warranty
Youtube Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4KiTcLqxpo
- Can be used with other devices and even DSLR
- Small but durable
- 12-month warranty coverage
- Mini USB adapter needs to be bought separately
5. AxcessAbles ODM-2 Microphone Kit for GoPro (mic+frame+cable for GoPro)
The AxcessAbles ODM-2 may be priced higher than the previous products we listed here but considering that it already comes as a kit makes it worthy of the few extra dollars.
The ODM-2 mic is an omni-directional one, has a frequency range of 35Hz~20Hz and produces great sound quality.
However, the frame where the microphone is to be attached is quite bulky so it’s best to use with a tripod. Such set-up quite limits the portability of the camera but if you’re not intending to use it with much movement, then you’d find this microphone kit meeting what it is supposed to do – produces great sound, easy to use and blocks out unwanted noise from the video recording.
Youtube Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7O3vH7QnCg
- Comes as a kit – includes frame and cable
- Omni-directional microphone
- Great sound quality and blocks out unwanted noise
- Quite costly
- Microphone frame is bulky
Other Type of Microphones – The Shotgun Microphones
In this post, the five best microphones we reviewed are all lavalier omni-directional microphones. With its tiny size and light weight, you can easily take it with you almost everywhere. Such characteristics are also perfect for interviews since they are almost impossible to detect if you will also hide the cable in your shirt.
However, there is actually another type of microphone that may be used with your GoPro Hero (Source). This is the Shotgun Microphones. Unlike the tiny lavalier microphones that are best to be clipped-on to your shirt, shotgun microphones are bigger ones that can serve best if they are attached on the top of the action camera.
Shotgun microphones are a better choice if you are more likely to take outdoor shots since this type can better resist wind with its tight polar pattern.
Before you make your choice, make sure that you have read the reviews thoroughly. They only seem the same but there are aspects wherein they would still differ from each other.
Yet, regardless of which one you choose, all five products we listed here are of great quality and can sure provide you with better quality audio.
Lastly, here’s a quick Youtube video featuring 3 tips on how to have a great audio for your GoPro videos:
Table of Contents
- Top 5 Best Microphone for GoPro Hero 7 6 5 4 3 Reviews
- 1. Movo GM100 Lavalier Lapel Clip-on Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone for GoPro HERO3, HERO3+ and HERO4 Black, White and Silver Editions
- 2. SOONSUN Skeleton Housing Protective Case with Quick Release Buckle + 6.5ft Lavalier Lapel Clip-on Microphone Mic for GoPro Hero4 Hero 4 3+ Hero3 Camera
- 3. Professional Grade Lavalier Lapel Microphone Omnidirectional Mic with Easy Clip On System Perfect for Recording Youtube / Interview / Video Conference / Podcast / Voice Dictation / iPhone/ASMR
- 4. Lavalier Microphone, MAONO AU100 Hands Free Clip-on Lapel Mic with Omnidirectional Condenser for Podcast, Recording, DSLR,Camera, Smartphone, Sony,PC,Laptop (236 in)
- 5. AxcessAbles ODM-2 Microphone Kit for GoPro (mic+frame+cable for GoPro)
- Other Type of Microphones – The Shotgun Microphones