Do You Need 4k HDMI Cables?
Most probably, you’ve opened this post because you just purchased a new high-end television – one that says it is a 4K HDR (High Definition Range). With this, you want to make sure that every component you use is 4K HDR capable so as to maximize your awesome TV.
Of course, one of the first things you check is your HDMI cable. High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) cables serves to connect a video source to a streaming device; for example, a set-top box to your TV, a Blu-Ray player, or a game console.
So, in this post we reviewed the five best HDMI cables for 4K, and provided you some guidelines and tips in choosing for one that would be compatible for your device. In line with this, we also explained some technicalities about HDMI, 4K, and other such related to things to help you determine whether or not you really need to change your HDMI cable.
At the onset of the list is our top pick, the Mediabridge HDMI Cable.
Top 5 Best HDMI Cables for 4k Reviews
1. Mediabridge HDMI Cable (25 Feet) Supports 4K@60Hz, High Speed, Hand-Tested, HDMI 2.0 Ready – UHD, 18Gbps, Audio Return Channel
Mediabridge offers HDMI 2.0 cables at various lengths – 3ft, 6ft, 10ft, 15ft, and 25ft. It assures that each of their products is individually hand-tested during production to make sure that each output can perform at optimum quality.
Cables are tested to make sure that they can support 4k at 60Hz. However, due to varying standards for HDMI and ever increasing specifications for different devices, it is said that there is still no cable that can guarantee 60Hz compatibility with all the devices available.
Regardless, at 18Gbps transfer speed, it can transfer data well for 4K, UHD, 3D, 48-Bit Deep color, HDR video and ARC.
A Mediabridge HDMI 2.0 Cable is built with 28AWG pure copper conductors, tri-shielding and a gold-plated full metal jacket. This combination of premium materials is intended to provide optimal audio and video. Also, Mediabridge offers lifetime warranty should there be found any manufacturing defects in any of the product.
- Affordable and available in various lengths
- High-speed for high-resolution videos
- Premium materials and build
- Covered with manufacturer’s limited lifetime warranty
- Does not accept returns
2. 4K HDMI Cable 75 ft 18Gbps / 75ft Foot Long HDMI Cord Ultra-High Speed 2.0-4K @ 60Hz, Ethernet, 1080p, 2160p, HDR, 3D, Audio Return (ARC), Ultra HD (UHD), CL3, 24 AWG
This 75ft. HDMI cable from PlugLug boasts of ultra-high speed 2.0 at 60Hz. With plated connectors, it can transfer data up to 18Gbps. It can be used with Apply TV, Nvidia Shield, Roku, Play Station, PS3, PS4, XBOX 360 ONE, DVD or Blu Ray players, Wii, PC, AV Receiver, HDTV, and other streaming devices or video game consoles.
However, for best results, it is recommended that you also use a signal amplifier. With boosted signal, you can have 48-bit deep color, Dolby True HD 7.1 Audio and hot plugging.
More so, this cable is built to withstand pressure, bends, and other such situations as it boasts of being built of durable PVC and other premium materials.
This Pluglug HDMI is a 2.0b pure copper cable that can support resolutions up to 4k x 2k (UHD) (QHD) including 4096×2160, 3840×2160, 2560×1600, 2560×1440, 1920×1200, 1080 and 1080p. And, in case you still find it not compatible with your device or was broken due to manufacturer’s fault, it is covered by a limited lifetime warranty.
- 75ft in length
- Made with premium durable materials
- Can work with almost every device
- Covered with limited lifetime warranty
- Needs signal booster for best result
- Quite expensive
3. 4K HDR HDMI Cable 5ft – High Speed HDMI 2.0 Ultra HD Cord Supports 4K 60hz (4:4:4, 4:2:2, Dolby Vision, HDR10) Compatible Apple tv 4k, Xbox one, PS4 pro, HDCP 2.2-26AWG by iBirdie
From iBirdie, you can also choose HDR HDMI Cables of different lengths at a very affordable price. The shortest one available measures 3 feet and there are cables that also go as long as 50 feet.
iBirdie HDMI cables are compatible with Apple TV 4K, Playstation 4, XBOX One, Blu Ray Players, 4K Projectors, other streaming devices, and game consoles.
These HDMI cables have a transfer speed of up to 48Gbps and can support 4K, 144Hz, 120Hz, and 60Hz resolution. They can work well with Dolby Vision and HDR 10, Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD and 32-channel audio.
- Various lengths to choose from
- Compatible with various streaming devices and game consoles
- Transfer speed goes as fast as 48Gbps
- Not covered by manufacturer’s warranty
4. Monoprice Certified Premium HDMI Cable – Black – 25 Feet | 4K@60Hz, HDR, 18Gbps, 24AWG, YUV 4:4:4
Monoprice cables boast of being certified premium high-speed because they are tested and certified by HDMI Authorized Test Centers.
Each produced cable was tested to deliver 18Gbps bandwidth with high-level electro-magnetic interference (EMI) resistance. They are made sure to be support features of latest HDMI specifications. They can even support dual video streams unto a single display screen.
As such, Monoprice cables can support all HDMI resolutions up to 4K, and even 21:9 cinema aspect ratio. They also work well with 32 audio channels, and even 1536 kHz audio sampling rate, SA-CD, DVD-Audio, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby TrueHD, and other high-definition audio standards. When it comes to video capability, Monoprice cables support up to 16-Bit Deep Color, including Sony’s x.v. Color standard.
Monoprice cables are available in various lengths – 3ft, 6ft, 10ft, 15ft, 20ft, 25ft, and 30ft. They may also be bought in multi-packs.
- Tested and certified to support all features in latest HDMI specification
- Supports high-quality audio and video
- Supports dual video stream
- Available in different lengths and may be bought in multi-packs
- Quite pricey
5. 4K HDMI Cable 6 ft – Atevon High Speed 18Gbps HDMI 2.0 Cable – 4K HDR, 3D, 2160P, 1080P, Ethernet – 28AWG Braided HDMI Cord – Audio Return(ARC) Compatible UHD TV, Blu-ray, Xbox, PS4/3, PC, Fire TV
Atevon HDMI Cables are affordable at a very low price but the longest ones they offer only measures up to 10feet. They are designed to be compatible with devices with HDMI 2.0 standard and less. They work well with various streaming devices such as Apple TV 4K, NVidia Shield TV, CD/DVD/Blu Ray players, Fire TV, Roku Ultra, PS3, PS4, XBOX One/360, Nintendo Switch, and other such HDMI-enabled devices and game consoles.
These cables have 18Gbps data transfer rate, and so can support video resolutions up to UltraHD 4K 2160p, HD 2K 1080p, QHD 1440p, and HDCP 2.2. They also work well for 48-Bit Deep Color, Audio Return (ARC), Dolby TrueHD 7.1 audio and hot plugging.
Atevon cables are built with premium durable zinc alloy connectors and enclosed with high-quality nylon braided jacket. They can withstand being bent and remains to be flexible to ensure you have great viewing experience.
- Very affordable
- Built with premium flexible materials
- Compatible with most streaming devices and game consoles
- Covered by manufacturer’s lifetime warranty
- Limited lengths available
What Should You Look For?
Now that we have presented the five best cables for 4K that we found, maybe you think that they’re all pretty similar with one another. So how should you choose? In this part, we’ll help you do just that.
Here are some aspects that you may want to look into when buying HDMI cables (Source):
Based on the guidelines set by the HDMI Forum Technical Working Group, there are four types with the following specifications:
- Standard HDMI: up to 720p or 1080i resolution at 30Hz
- High-Speed HDMI:up to 4K resolution (including 1080p) at 30Hz
- Premium High-Speed HDMI:up to 4K resolution with high dynamic range (HDR) at up to 60Hz
- Ultra High-Speed HDMI:up to 10K resolution with HDR at a 120Hz refresh rate (4K video can refresh up to 240Hz)
If you want to learn more about the types of HDMI Cables, you may also watch this video.
TVs are not portable devices that you can just move from here to there. Despite such, one of the things that homeowners usually forget before going to the store is to measure the distance between their devices.
If you’re going to buy an HDMI cable, the next thing you need to know, after the type, is how long do you need the cable to be. Various brands offer different lengths, You can easily find a high-speed HDMI cable that measures 3ft to around 5ft. However, if you’ll be needing an HDMI cable that can go through across the hall, say around 30ft or even 50ft, then your choices become more limited.
Measuring the space that your cable needs to go through is critical; unless you want to waste your money and time, and need to buy again.
Last consideration, although it’s pretty much a given already, is the price.
High price does not automatically equate to high versions or high standards or high quality. Make sure that you know the type and length of the cable you need then you can search for one that is of lesser price.
An affordable premium high-speed cable should be compatible enough with other premium ones regardless of the price.
Although of course, if you compare the price of an ultra high-speed HDMI with that of a standard HDMI, there would be differences since the former can transmit higher data at a faster speed compared to the standard one. This is why you need to identify first as to what devices and purpose will you use your cable.
4K – Technical Hurdles for HDMI Cables
When we’re talking about TVs, 4K is a general term to include 4K, 4K2K, Ultra HD, UHD, Quad Full HD, QFD, and 2160p. So you don’t have to worry or be enticed too much with all those letters and digits – they all just pertain to 4K resolution.
To elaborate, the maximum resolution of a 4K TV is 4.096px x 2.160px or the total of 8 million pixels. That’s four times Full HD resolution. Hence, the 4k. However, the technical upgrades did not end in the number of pixels.
The reason why 4K TVs require High-Speed HDMI Cables or better is that other technical components of the TV were also upgraded. In particular, the graphic cards and software drivers were also upgraded along with the number of pixels to make sure that it can process all the extra huge amount of information needed to display higher quality photos, videos, or games (Source).
Does Every HDMI Cable Support 4K Ultra HD?
The short answer to that question is NO. Not all HDMI cables are compatible for 4K Ultra HD. As shown above, the Standard HDMI cable can only support 720p or 1080i resolution. But you should not worry about that.
Most HDMI cables available in the market today are High-Speed HDMI Cables. Such type of HDMI cables are developed particularly for 4K. To assure you this, HDMI Licensing Org. even specifically stated that “All High-Speed HDMI cables will support 4K functionality when connected to 4K devices.”
So, if you’re buying an HDMI Cable for your 4K Ultra HD TV, just make sure that the HDMI Cable you are buying indicates High-Speed on the cable itself or on its packaging.
Do HDMI High Speed Cables Provide Enough Bandwidth for HDMI 2.0?
If you are worried if high-speed HDMI cables can transmit enough bandwidth for HDMI 2.0, then you don’t have to.
According to the HDMI Licensing Org., the new HDMI 2.0 is designed to be more efficient in transmitting signals for speed that goes beyond 10.2Gbps in order to allow higher bandwidths (up to 18Gbps) over the high-speed HDMI cables.
Meaning, your high-speed HDMI cable can support 4K and even the bandwidth requirements of HDMI 2.0.
Introducing HDMI 2.1
HDMI 2.1 is the latest development on HDMI specifications, and it was developed by the HDMI Forum’s Technical Working Group.
The newest HDMI 2.1 can support a “range of higher video resolutions and refresh rates including 8K60 and 4K120, and resolutions up to 10K. Dynamic HDR formats are also supported, and bandwidth capability is increased up to 48Gbps.”
To support such high bandwidth capability, you would need the new Ultra High-Speed HDMI Cable. Such cable can deliver features including uncompressed 8K video with HDR. But, of course, it’s also backwards compatible with older generations of devices that require lower features.
Should you wish to learn more, you can visit this page in HDMI.org.
Purchasing an HDMI cable for your 4K HDR TV may be quite tricky and confusing at first, especially if you don’t know the difference among the cables. However, such shouldn’t always be the case, and that is why we’ve written this post.
To put it simply, High-Speed HDMI Cables will do just fine with 4K HDR TV. You don’t really need the latest premium or ultra high-speed cables to make sure that you can experience the best that your TV can offer. However, if you already have one at home, then you can also use them since most cables are backwards compatible.
All these cables we presented here will do just fine with your TV. As such, you just have to mind the length and the price before buying.
Table of Contents
- Top 5 Best HDMI Cables for 4k Reviews
- 1. Mediabridge HDMI Cable (25 Feet) Supports 4K@60Hz, High Speed, Hand-Tested, HDMI 2.0 Ready – UHD, 18Gbps, Audio Return Channel
- 2. 4K HDMI Cable 75 ft 18Gbps / 75ft Foot Long HDMI Cord Ultra-High Speed 2.0-4K @ 60Hz, Ethernet, 1080p, 2160p, HDR, 3D, Audio Return (ARC), Ultra HD (UHD), CL3, 24 AWG
- 3. 4K HDR HDMI Cable 5ft – High Speed HDMI 2.0 Ultra HD Cord Supports 4K 60hz (4:4:4, 4:2:2, Dolby Vision, HDR10) Compatible Apple tv 4k, Xbox one, PS4 pro, HDCP 2.2-26AWG by iBirdie
- 4. Monoprice Certified Premium HDMI Cable – Black – 25 Feet | 4K@60Hz, HDR, 18Gbps, 24AWG, YUV 4:4:4
- 5. 4K HDMI Cable 6 ft – Atevon High Speed 18Gbps HDMI 2.0 Cable – 4K HDR, 3D, 2160P, 1080P, Ethernet – 28AWG Braided HDMI Cord – Audio Return(ARC) Compatible UHD TV, Blu-ray, Xbox, PS4/3, PC, Fire TV
- What Should You Look For?
- 4K – Technical Hurdles for HDMI Cables
- Does Every HDMI Cable Support 4K Ultra HD?
- Do HDMI High Speed Cables Provide Enough Bandwidth for HDMI 2.0?
- Introducing HDMI 2.1
- Final Thoughts