Believe it or not, raising chickens is not as easy as you think. Chickens need more than a space to roam around. If you are interested in raising chickens, but you don’t have any idea where to start, then you are in the right place. Before you decide to collect and raise chickens, it’s very important to get the best chicken coop first.
But why your chicken needs to have a chicken coop you say? Chicken coops help keep your chickens away from potential dangers. They are a small house where chickens, particularly female ones, are kept secure and safe. Coops are a must have, especially if you’re planning to raise chickens on your backyard.
So how do you determine the best chicken coop? If you’re having a hard time choosing the right chicken coop for your chicken, then better read on as we’re going to give the things to consider when looking for a chicken coop.
Things to look for when buying chicken coops
Picking a chicken coop can be quite difficult and confusing since there are countless of them out there. To make sure you’re getting the right one, here we will give you some points.
When it comes to selecting a chicken coop, it’s crucial to consider the number of your chickens. You want to go for a bigger size coop if you already have lots of chicken on your land. A smaller size coop, on the other hand, will fit you well if you’ve just started raising chickens. Whether you have a few or too many chickens, you should always make sure that your chickens have enough space to move and live comfortably.
Most chicken coops are made from wood of different types. Wood chicken coops can last for some time as it can withstand changing weather conditions. There are also coops that are made from metal materials, which are quite durable. Metal coops can effortlessly endure wear and tear no matter if you put a large number of chickens. If you want to get the best and most reliable chicken coop for your chickens, consider getting one that is made of both wood and metal materials.
Chickens need proper ventilation. This is why it’s important to look for a chicken coop that has enough windows to make it easier for them to access fresh air. Avoid coops that don’t have enough windows as this isn’t good for your chickens.
If you want to make raising chickens a lot easier, go for a chicken coop that provides adequate storage space for hay, cleaning supplies, and other important things. Don’t hesitate to invest in a coop that includes enough storage space.
DIY chicken coop step by step
Top 10 Best Chicken Coops Reviews
1. Best Choice Products 80in Wooden Chicken Coop
Featuring a metal wire fencing and a removable sliding tray at the bottom, the Best Choice Products 80in Wooden Chicken Coop offers good ventilation for your chickens. The sliding tray is removable, allowing you to clean it easily. It has a durable wood construction that makes it reliable and long-lasting.
- Offers easy access
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Durable and sturdy
- It’s quite small but it fits baby chicks very well
- The quality is not the best but it’s a pretty decent chicken coop considering that it comes at an affordable price
2. Pawhut Deluxe Backyard Chicken Coop
The Pawhut Deluxe Backyard Chicken Coop can effortlessly hold up to 2 to 4 chickens at a time. It’s a little big so you won’t have a hard time housing your chickens. Moreover, it has a removable run that enables you to move it with little to no effort.
- Can hold up to 2 to 4 chickens
- Features durable galvanized wire that protects your chickens from dangers
- Removable run and droppings tray
- Hinged roof that offers easy access
- Some people find the coop a bit small but it does a great job in protecting chickens
- The screws and the hinges are not the best quality but it’s a good value for the price
3. Advantek The Tower Chicken Coop
If you only have 2 chickens, the Advantek The Tower Chicken Coop would suit your needs best. Although it’s small, it is made of tough rot and insect resistant fir lumber that enables it to withstand even the harshest weather conditions. Moreover, the coop comes with a hinged door and removable roof, making it effortless and quick to clean up.
- Works great for 2 chickens
- Hinged door and removable roof
- Can resist insects and rot
- Sliding windows for ventilation
- It’s small but it’s designed that way, and it works great for those who want to raise 1 or 2 chicken
- You may have a hard time building it at first but just be patient. It’s all worth it in the end
4. Merax Wooden Chicken Coops
The Merax Wooden Chicken Coops are included with instructions so assembling it should be a breeze. It has a folding iron hook that allows users to close and open the door quickly and conveniently. Moreover, the coop is divided into two rooms and comes with a removable roof.
- Made from durable, natural wood
- Folding iron hook for easy open and close
- Features an egg box
- Easy and quick to clean
- This coop is a little small but it works quite well
- Its quality isn’t that great but that’s expected since it’s affordable
5. Trixie Pet Products Chicken Coop
This Trixie Chicken Coop is large enough to hold up to 6 standard size chickens. It features 2 nesting and sleeping houses that come with hinged roofs and removable ramps and sliding doors. In addition, the chicken coop is included with top and front doors that give easy quick and access.
- Ideal for 6 regular size chickens
- Has a spacious outdoor run
- Partition door that separates your chickens
- Nice looking
- The wood is soft but it can hold up for some time
- Building it can take some time but you can ask for help if you find assembling it a bit difficult and time-consuming
6. Pawhut 88“ Chicken Coop
Offering a spacious outdoor run, the Pawhut Chicken Coop delivers enough room that enables your chickens to move around securely and comfortably. The nesting box opens, allowing you to effortlessly clean and maintain the inside. The design of the coop makes it easier for you to collect eggs as it is included with a nesting box.
- Easily accessible
- Large outdoor run for comfort
- Screened windows for proper airflow and ventilation
- Multiple doors and hinged roofs
- When it comes to quality and durability, it’s not the best. But it’s pretty nice for the price
- You might find it small but it’s excellent in keeping chickens safe
7. BestPet Chicken Coop
- Two sleeping spaces
- Easy to maintain
- Effortless to access
- Fits 2 to 3 chickens
- It’s not included with instructions but assembling it is really easy
- Not that durable but what do you expect – it’s very affordable compared to other chicken coops
8. Purlove Chicken Coop
This Purlove Chicken Coop is made from natural wood and offers a spacious running and living area. The coop also comes with an egg box, enabling you to collect eggs conveniently. In addition, the item has a tray that you can slide out, making it quite easy to clean.
- Spacious running and resting area
- Pull-out tray that makes cleaning a breeze
- With nesting box
- With a slide pole
- Smells a bit unpleasant but the odor will go away after some time
- It is not that big but it can still hold up several chickens perfectly
9. Petsfit Weatherproof Outdoor Chicken Coop
- Ideal for 3 to 4 normal grown up chickens
- Easy to lift top hinges
- Wood construction that makes it long-lasting
- Easy to assemble
- Made of cheap wood but it can stand weather conditions pretty well
- In terms of quality, the Petsfit doesn’t have the best one. But that’s expected since the chicken coop is affordable
10. TANGKULA Large Chicken Coop
With lockable slide bolts on windows and doors, the TANGKULA Large Chicken Coop will keep your chickens safe and away from predators. It’s constructed from a solid fir that allows it to endure wear and tear. Moreover, the coop is also quick and easy to assemble.
- With removable bottom and side sliding pan
- Features a nesting box and run area
- Easy assembly
- It is not large enough to accomodate 4 chickens but it gets the job done quite well
- These coops are expensive but it’s definitely worth buying
Whether you’ve just started raising chickens or you’ve been raising chickens for some time, it’s important to have the best chicken coop to make your life much easier. However, finding the right one isn’t that easy considering the flooded market. That’s why we have provided our reviews of the best chicken coops to help you.
Backyard Chickens – Is it Really Worth it?
Why Two Coops are Better than One!
Table of Contents
- Things to look for when buying chicken coops
- DIY chicken coop step by step
- Top 10 Best Chicken Coops Reviews
- 1. Best Choice Products 80in Wooden Chicken Coop
- 2. Pawhut Deluxe Backyard Chicken Coop
- 3. Advantek The Tower Chicken Coop
- 4. Merax Wooden Chicken Coops
- 5. Trixie Pet Products Chicken Coop
- 6. Pawhut 88“ Chicken Coop
- 7. BestPet Chicken Coop
- 8. Purlove Chicken Coop
- 9. Petsfit Weatherproof Outdoor Chicken Coop
- 10. TANGKULA Large Chicken Coop